Deputies to continue talks on ship sinking at U.N. Security Council: foreign ministry

Park Sae-jin Reporter() | Posted : June 21, 2010, 17:10 | Updated : June 21, 2010, 17:10
The U.N. Security Council will continue consultations this week on censuring North Korea for sinking a South Korean warship, with deputy representatives holding talks in place of the top envoys who are currently on a foreign trip, the foreign ministry said Monday.

Ambassadors of the 15 Council members are traveling through Afghanistan and Turkey from June 19 and are expected to wrap up the trip on Sunday, ministry spokesman Kim Young-sun said. Asked whether the discussions on the Cheonan sinking will be suspended, he said the deputy chiefs of missions will still be on hand to deal with the issue.

"We believe informal consultations among deputy ambassadors or other representatives of the Security Council members will still take place," Kim said. "Last week, when there were no fixed dates for official or unofficial discussions on the Cheonan, the members still met behind closed doors for consultations. We think informal talks can continue this week even without the ambassadors."

Seoul asked the Security Council on June 4 to take up the sinking of the Cheonan, a South Korean naval patrol ship that went down near the inter-Korean Yellow Sea border on March 26. A South Korean investigation, assisted by foreign experts, concluded that a North Korean submarine attacked it with a torpedo.

Council members were briefed last week of the probe results by the investigators.

North Korea has denied any responsibility and has threatened to take military action in response to any punishment against it.//Yonhap

© Aju Business Daily & www.ajunews.com Copyright: All materials on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the authorization from the Aju News Corporation.