10 Deadly Foods Your Dogs Shouldn’t Eat

Park Sae-jin Reporter() | Posted : April 6, 2011, 11:25 | Updated : April 6, 2011, 11:25
The American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals announced a full list of things that can cause problems to your dogs. Here are the 10 things that are the most toxic to dogs, and you can find a full list with photos at ASPCA.org.

1. Grapes -- The toxicity of grapes to dogs was once thought to be an urban legend, but it‘s true; even a small serving can cause vomiting and diarrhea, while larger amounts lead to kidney failure. Researchers aren’t yet sure what exactly causes this reaction, whether pesticides or a fungal toxin.

2. Mushrooms -- While there are plenty of great-tasting, perfectly safe mushrooms out there, dogs just don‘t seem capable of discerning the difference between the edible and the toxic. To be on the safe side, it’s best not to allow dogs to eat any wild mushrooms at all, unless you can confidently identify the species yourself.

3. Marijuana -- After ingesting marijuana, a dog can experience symptoms like slow heart rate, lack of coordination, disorientation, drooling and tremors that can persist for up to three days.

4. Lilies -- While lilies are well-known as a serious danger to cats, certain varieties are highly toxic to dogs as well.

The peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus and the common houseplant, giant Dracaena or palm lily, are Ingestion of lilies can cause gastrointestinal upset, depression, anorexia and tremors.

5. Black walnuts -- Dropping from black walnut trees by the thousands, the nuts themselves don‘t contain anything that can harm your dog. But once they start to decompose, they grow molds that can cause tremors and seizures. If you have one of these trees in your yard and your dog seems attracted to the nuts, it might be a good idea to rake them up on a regular basis.

6. Sago palm -- Often used in landscaping and as houseplants, sago palms develop seed pods that are often very tempting to dogs.

Unfortunately, the whole plant and the seeds in particular contain a potent toxin called cycasin that can be fatal, even if the dog only eats a single seed. Ingestion of any part or amount of this plant warrants immediate emergency treatment.

7. Azalea -- A member of the widely toxic genus rhododendron, the Azalea is found in many varieties all over the United States and is commonly used as an ornamental flowering shrub in landscaping. Ingestion of just a few leaves can cause serious issues like digestive upset, drooling, loss of appetite, weakness and leg paralysis. In some cases, eating azalea can lead to coma or death.

8. Castor bean -- Eating this plant can burn a dog’s mouth and throat and lead to excessive thirst, vomiting and diarrhea. But ingestion of even an ounce of seeds can be lethal.

9. Daffodils -- Among the first blooms to herald the arrival of spring, Daffodils are a cheerful addition to the garden, but they contain poisonous alkaloids that can cause vomiting, excessive salivation, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors and heart problems.

The bulbs are the most dangerous part of the plant.

10. Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane) -- With its broad variegated leaves, the dieffenbachia is often recommended as an ideal houseplant for natural air purification.

But if you choose to have one in your home, be sure it‘s well out of your dog’s reach. When eaten, it not only burns the mouth and throat but causes the esophagus to swell, potentially blocking the dog‘s airway.


(아주경제 이수지 기자)
© Aju Business Daily & www.ajunews.com Copyright: All materials on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the authorization from the Aju News Corporation.